Chateau Pelerin, also known as Atlit Fortress, was built by the Knights Templar in 1218 during the Fifth Crusade. It was situated on the northern coast of Israel and included a protected harbor which provided income by way of toll collection, as well as protection from capture since it could not be fully surrounded.
In 1291, with the collapse of the Crusader Kingdom, the fortress was abandoned. It was damaged in 1837 by an earthquake, and by Ibrahim Pasha in 1840, who used it as a source of stone for Acre.

C. N. Johns excavated the fortress between 1930 and 1934. The British Mandate used it to house illegal refugees, and today it is a training area for IDF Naval commandos.