By July 17, 2008 0 Comments Read More →

Lion’s Gate, 19th century

Lion's Gate

The Lion’s gate is located on the Eastern side of the Old City and leads into the Christian Quarter. Near the top of the gate are four statues of panthers, often mistaken for lions. They were originally put there by Sultan Suleiman the Magnificent to celebrate the defeat of the Ottoman Mamluks in 1517. During the Six Day War, the Lion Gate was the point of entrance for the fifty-fifth Paratrooper Brigade in the recapture of the Old City and the reunification of Jerusalem.

Post a Comment