After the conquest of Jerusalem by the army of the Fatimid dynasty (969), The Temple Mount synagogue was used until the Jews were banished by Caliph al–Hakim in 1015.
When a subsequent ruler canceled Hakim’s eviction order, the Jews again returned to this synagogue on the Temple Mount and worshipped there until the conquest of Jerusalem by Crusaders in 1099.
Hebrew writings found on the internal walls of the Golden Gate are believed to have been written by Jewish pilgrims at least one thousand years ago, thus verifying once again to the continued Jewish attachment to and presence on the Temple Mount in this era.
Source: F.M. Loewenberg. Middle East Quarterly. Summer 2013, pp. 37-48.