By May 6, 2008 0 Comments Read More →

Mary’s Tomb, 5th century CE

Mary's_Tomb

Mary’s Tomb

Mary’s tomb is located in the Kidron Valley at the foot of the Mount of Olives. The church was first built in the 5th century. It was destroyed by the Persians in 614, but the crypt was untouched. It was rebuilt by the Crusaders in 1131 with the addition of the Abbey of St. Mary of the Valley of Jehoshaphat. Saladin destroyed it in 1187, and the Franciscans rebuilt it in the 14th century. Since 1757 it has belonged to the Eastern Orthodox Church.

The New Testament provides no information on Mary’s death and Christian traditions on the subject vary.

Posted in: Byzantine Period

Post a Comment