This cloth was discovered in 1949 on the floor of Cave 1. It is cut along three sides, rolled and oversewn with a single thread; the fourth edge has a corded starting border in twining technique, followed by a woven strip and an open unwoven space. It was found folded into a pad and was probably used as packing material for discarded scrolls.
Sussmann, Ayala and Ruth Peled, Scrolls from the Dead Sea; An Exhibition of Scrolls and Archeological Artifacts from the Collections of the Israel Antiquities Authority. New York- George Braziller, 1993.