By September 24, 2008 0 Comments Read More →

Hospital of the Knights of St. John, 1099

Entrance to Hospital of the Knights of St. John, 1865.

 With the capture of Jerusalem in 1099, Godfrey of Bouillon provided money for the expansion and renovation of a hospice which had been founded in 1048. The new hospice was known as the Hospital of the Knights of St. John and was located near the Church of the Holy Sepulchre and the Church of St. John the Baptist.

The Knights of the Order of St. John were part of a new group which combined the roles of knight and monk. They were reorganized along military lines to become the Knights Hospitaller in 1126. The Knights Hospitaller left the Holy Land in 1310.

See also-

Posted in: Bible and Beyond

Post a Comment