Returning and Redemption
Found in the south wall, this gate is closest in proximity to the Temple Mount. Since the 2nd century, refuse has been hauled out of the city through this gate, hence the name. It is also known as Sha’ar Ha’ashpot, Gate of Silwan and Mograbi Gate. It was enlarged in 1952, after the Old City came under Jordanian control in 1948, and later renovated by Israel. This photograph shows Dung Gate before its enlargement and renovation.