By May 4, 2008 0 Comments Read More →

Church of Mary Magdalene, 1886

Church_of_Mary_Magdalene

Church of Mary Magdalene. Photo courtesy of BiblePlaces.com.

The Church of Mary Magdalene was built by the Czar Alexander III as a commemoration for his mother, Empress Maria Alexandrovna of Russia. It was built in traditional Russian style, including seven gilded onion domes. Inside is a mosaic floor depicting the legend of Mary Magdalene presenting the Emperor Tiberius with an egg. According to tradition, the egg turned red as a symbol of the blood of Jesus. The church is located on the Mount of Olives, in the Garden of Gethsemane.

Posted in: Ottoman Period

Post a Comment