By September 15, 2008 0 Comments Read More →

Aelia Capitolina Gate, c. 135 CE

Aelia_Capitolina_Gate

Aelia Capitolina Gate

A fragmentary Latin inscription mentions “Aelia Capitolina.” It was discovered by R. W. Hamilton of the Antiquities Department of the British mandatory government near the Damascus Gate in the 1930’s. The Damascus Gate was built atop a gate built by Hadrian as part of his transformation of Jerusalem into a Roman city, renamed Aelia Capitolina.

The end of the inscription reads, “.. by the decree of the decurions of Aelia Capitolina.”

“Recovering Roman Jerusalem—The Entryway Beneath Damascus Gate,” BAR May-June 1988.

See also-

Posted in: Roman Period II

Post a Comment